Donald Bearden, PhD, ABPP-CN, is a Pediatric Neuropsychologist at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and the Director of the Pediatric Neuroscience and Cognition Laboratory. He also serves as Assistant Professor of Pediatrics within the Department of Neurology at Emory University School of Medicine. Dr. Bearden joined Children’s and Emory in fall 2016.
Dr. Bearden received his undergraduate degree in psychology with a minor in sociology from Georgia State University before earning his doctoral degree in clinical psychology, neuropsychology and behavioral neuroscience from Georgia State University. He then completed a predoctoral internship at the University of California, Los Angeles, Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior followed by a postdoctoral fellowship with a focus on pediatric epilepsy at Boston Children's Hospital/Harvard Medical School.
In his spare time, Dr. Bearden enjoys traveling and spending time with his family and friends.
- Dr. Anthony Y. Stringer Award for Excellence in Neuropsychology Teaching, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Emory University School of Medicine (2018, 2019)
- Selected for Five-Part Leadership Training Program for Fellows, Boston Children's Hospital (2015)
- Greiffenstein-Kaplan Student Research Award, American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology (2012)
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology Student Travel Scholarship (2012)
- Health Resources and Services Administration, Graduate Psychology Education Fellow, Reference Code 1 D40HP19643-01-00, Georgia State University (2011 – 2013)
- Emotional Functioning in Children with Sickle Cell Disease poster, 1st place, Graduate Award, Council for Independent Practice Georgia Psychological Association (2011)
Focus of Practice
- Pediatric Neuropsychology
Areas of Interest
- Association between pain and neuropsychological function in children
- Complex neurological disorders
- Sickle cell disease
- Pain in children
- American Epilepsy Society
- American Academy of Neurology
- International Neuropsychological Society
- American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology
- American Psychological Association
Research & Publications
Dr. Bearden’s research interests include neuropsychology of epilepsy, epilepsy surgery and pediatric pain.