The Center for Safe and Healthy Children is a child advocacy center that provides the following services in a safe, child-friendly environment by a team of professionals who have extensive pediatric experience:
- Comprehensive medical and forensic evaluations
- Behavioral health assessment and counseling
- Professional training
- Community education and research
- Collaborative partnerships within the community
How the Center for Safe and Healthy Children works
We provide medical examinations for children and teenagers who have symptoms or behaviors of suspected physical or sexual abuse.
When you arrive at the center:
- You will be asked to complete a medical history for your child and provide insurance information
- Your questions will be answered by our staff and they will explain the exam to you
As you are meeting with the team, your child:
- Will meet with a child life specialist and patient care tech who will check your child’s height, weight, blood pressure and temperature
- Will be allowed to explore the medical exam room and the equipment used and will be given choices of things to do during the exam
Your child’s medical exam will be done by a doctor or a nurse practitioner who will take a close look at your child’s whole body, including his or her eyes, ears, mouth, stomach and genital area. The exam will be a similar to a well checkup at the pediatrician.