The Children's College Volunteer program is for currently enrolled college students looking for a way to help patients, families and staff at one of our three Children’s hospital campuses. Participants will immerse themselves in the hospital environment by helping the children in our community and gain exposure to the medical field.
The 12-week program is offered during the fall and spring semesters. The program is not offered during the summer. Students must be able to commit to a weekly three-hour shift. Three excused absences are allowed.
Shadow a staff member
After the completion of 60 volunteer hours, students have the option of applying for an opportunity to shadow/observe a staff member in their field of study for a day (available to Scottish Rite and Egleston hospital volunteers only).
Scottish Rite, Egleston and Hughes Spalding hospital dates:
- Applications open: July 29, 2020
- Application deadline: August 5, 2020
- Training dates:
- Hughes Spalding: 2-4p on August 25, 2020
- Egleston: 2-4p on August 25, 2020
- Scottish Rite: 2-4p on August 26, 2020
- Program dates: September 8, 2020 - December 7, 2020
When to apply
Thank for your interest in Children's College Volunteer Program. The application for our Spring 2020 program has closed. Please check back in the future for volunteer opportunities!
How to apply
Read all steps below before completing the assessment. Applications will not be accepted until the online steps are completed and all forms are received.
1. Meet the following volunteer requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age and have completed high school.
- Pass a criminal background check (Final acceptance pending results).
- Provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), chickenpox, and tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).
- Be willing to receive an annual tuberculosis (TB) screening (via blood test).
- Be willing to receive annual flu vaccination.
- Attend the mandatory training at the beginning of each semester.
- Adhere to the Children’s policies and procedures.
2. Review the volunteer manual.
3. Complete the volunteer assessment which unlocks the volunteer application upon receiving a minimum score of 80%.
4. Mail the following forms to the Children’s Volunteer Services department or drop them off at the information desk located at the front entrance of the hospital:
- Immunization Records that include: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (two immunization dates); Varicella/Chicken Pox (either two immunization dates or titer results proving immunity); and Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis) and the flu shot (spring program only).
- Color copy of your photo ID (driver's license, school ID, passport, etc.)