The Children's College Volunteer program is for currently enrolled college students looking for a way to help patients, families and staff at one of our three Children’s hospital campuses. Participants will immerse themselves in the hospital environment by helping the children in our community and gain exposure to the medical field.
The 12-week program is offered during the fall and spring semesters. The program is not offered during the summer. Students must be able to commit to a weekly three-hour shift. Three excused absences are allowed.
Shadow a staff member
After the completion of 60 volunteer hours, students have the option of applying for an opportunity to shadow/observe a staff member in their field of study for a day (available to Scottish Rite and Egleston hospital volunteers only).
Mandatory training dates
- Scottish Rite: Aug. 22, 2018, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Egleston: Aug. 22, 2018, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Neighborhood Locations: Aug 23, 2018, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. (orientation will be hosted at Scottish Rite)
- Program dates: Sept. 4 - Dec. 3, 2018
When to apply
Applications for the Fall 2018 College Volunteer Program will be available on July 30, 2018.
How to apply
Read all steps below before completing the assessment. Applications will not be accepted until the online steps are completed and all forms are received.
1. Meet the following volunteer requirements:
- Be at least 18 years of age and have completed high school.
- Pass a criminal background check (Final acceptance pending results).
- Provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), chickenpox, and tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis (Tdap).
- Be willing to receive an annual tuberculosis (TB) screening (via blood test).
- Be willing to receive annual flu vaccination.
- Attend the mandatory training at the beginning of each semester.
- Adhere to the Children’s policies and procedures.
- Complete the online volunteer assessment and application.
3. Complete the online volunteer assessment
- You must score at least 80 percent on the Volunteer Assessment to qualify to volunteer. After qualifying, you will receive access to the link to our online Volunteer Application.
4. Fill out a Fall 2018 application for one of the following locations:
- Egleston hospital
- Scottish Rite hospital
Applicants interested in volunteering at a neighborhood location (listed below)* should apply to Scottish Rite hospital
- *Cherokee Urgent Care, Forsyth Urgent Care, Hamilton Creek Urgent Care, Hudson Bridge Urgent Care, North Point Urgent Care, Orthotics and Prosthetics Fabrication Lab, Sandy Plains Rehabilitation, Satellite Boulevard Surgery Center, Satellite Boulevard Urgent Care, Snellville Sports Medicine, Town Center Rehabilitation, Town Center Urgent Care
5. Mail the following forms to the Children’s Volunteer Services department or drop them off at the information desk located at the front entrance of the hospital:
- Application cover sheet
- Immunization Records that include: Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (two immunization dates); Varicella/Chicken Pox (either two immunization dates or titer results proving immunity); and Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis) vaccination proof from year 2006-present.
- Color copy of your photo ID (driver's license, school ID, passport, etc.)