Because diabetes is a complex condition that affects the whole body, we work with other specialists as needed to provide coordinated, comprehensive care. We also draw from resources and services across Children’s and the community to give you and your child all the care and support you need.
What is diabetes?
Diabetes means that your child’s body either does not make a hormone called insulin or does not use it properly. Insulin controls the level of sugar, or glucose, in the blood. Symptoms can include:
- Urinating a lot
- Drinking a lot and often feeling thirsty
- Eating a lot and often feeling hungry
- Energy loss or often feeling tired
- Weight loss
- Headaches, stomachaches, back pain, nausea or vomiting
- Blurred distance vision or not being able to focus vision properly
- Repeated skin infections