Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta is home to one of the only pediatric aerodigestive clinics in the Southeast. Our team of pediatric-trained providers is dedicated to finding the right answers and treatments for children with complex airway and digestive tract disorders.
When families visit our Aerodigestive Clinic, they see doctors and other healthcare professionals from many different pediatric specialties, including:
- Otolaryngology (ENT)
- Respiratory therapy
- Speech-language pathology
This multidisciplinary team works together to monitor patient progress and perform joint appointments, procedures and/or surgeries. This coordination can help minimize travel time, anesthesia time and days out of school and/or work for our patients and their families.
Children who have aerodigestive conditions often have many caregivers, making it difficult to coordinate care. At Children’s, our care coordinators can work with patient families to help guide them and advocate for the needs of their child. Our care coordinators provide feedback about treatment plans, support services and ongoing care. They are also available to help answer any questions. Our care coordinators include:
- Advanced practice providers
- Social workers
Aerodigestive diseases involve disorders of the respiratory and digestive systems, including the mouth, throat, lungs and esophagus. At Children’s, we focus on the care of these complex systems.
What are common aerodigestive medical conditions?
- Airway disease and malacia
- Aspiration and dysphagia
- Chronic cough or croup
- Congenital abnormalities of the airway and esophagus
- Eosinophilic esophagitis or gastritis
- Feeding disorders
- Gastrostomy tube feeds or nasogastric tube feeds
- Gastroesophageal reflux (GERD)
- Recurrent pneumonia
- Severe asthma
- Stridor and wheezing
- Tracheal stenosis
- Tracheoesophageal fistula and esophageal atresia
Different procedures may be performed to help our specialists develop the right treatment plan for your child, as he may need to have one or more procedures. If your child is scheduled for multiple procedures, more than one procedure may be done during the same visit. Procedures are performed at our Egleston and Scottish Rite hospitals.
We believe the best approach to treating children with complex aerodigestive disorders is to combine the expertise of several pediatric specialists. Led by Dawn Simon, MD, Medical Director, the Children’s Aerodigestive Clinic team includes:
- Gastroenterologists: Benjamin Gold, MD; Barbara McElhanon, MD
- General surgeons: Samiksha Bansal, MC; Amina Bhatia, MD
- Pulmonologists: Allan Dias, MD; Rachel Linnemann, MD; Jonathan Popler, MD; Eric Price, MD; Dawn Simon, MD, Medical Director
- Otolaryngologists: Geoffrey Aaron, MD; Lori Guillot, MD; April Landry, MD; Nikhila Raol, MD; James Thomsen, MD
Advanced practice providers
- Suzanne Marie Alfors, CPNP
- Heather Buckley, PA-C
Other team members
The Children’s Aerodigestive Clinic is located at the Center for Advanced Pediatrics. Procedures are performed at our Egleston and Scottish Rite hospitals.
Center for Advanced Pediatrics
1400 Tullie Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30329
1405 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322
Scottish Rite hospital
1001 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342