Subra Kugathasan, MD, is a Pediatric Gastroenterologist at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. Dr. Kugathasan also serves as Marcus Professor of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Professor of Pediatrics and Human Genetics at Emory University School of Medicine. He specializes in caring for children and adolescents with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD).
Dr. Kugathasan earned his medical degree from Jaffna Hindu College in Sri Lanka. After obtaining his medical degree, he completed his residency at Sinai Hospital of Baltimore, fellowship at Rainbow Babies and Children's Hospital in Cleveland, and internship at University Hospital of Wales.
Dr. Kugathasan’s research goal is to further extend novel genetic discoveries in inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), in particular common and rare susceptibility variants that are the cause of very early onset IBD.
Learn more about Dr. Kugathasan’s research lab.
- American Gastroenterology Association
- Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation
- North American Society for Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition
- Royal College of Physicians
Focus of Practice
Areas of Interest
- Etiopathogenesis of IBD research
- Genetic epidemiology and gene discoveries for childhood IBD research
- Novel therapies for IBD