After several weeks of sheltering in place and postponement of certain types of appointments, procedures and surgeries at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, many of you are in the process of rescheduling your plans to bring your child into one of our facilities in coming weeks. And chances are you have some concerns about visiting a public place like a doctor’s office or healthcare facility. We understand and want you to know that your safety is a priority at Children’s.
What is the Children’s reopening safety plan?
We have taken a number of important steps to make our facilities as safe as possible. We ask you to join us in ensuring safety for all patients, visitors and staff by adhering to the following five safety measures:
- All Children’s facilities will require a wellness screening for patients and visitors for signs of illness. Before entering our facilities, everyone will have their temperature checked and be asked questions about their symptoms, including cough, fever higher than 100°, shortness of breath, sore throat, diarrhea, vomiting, congestion and muscle aches. Additional screening questions include: Do you have a positive test for COVID-19 within the past 10 days? Has a healthcare provider given you recommendations to isolate at home? Any visitor showing signs of illness will not be allowed into our facilities.
- Only one caregiver is allowed with each patient during a visit. No other family members or visitors are allowed. This reduces the number of people inside our facilities to only those who need to be there.
- Everyone visiting our facilities is encouraged to wear a mask from home to your child’s scheduled appointment, procedure or surgery. Patients and visitors are also required to wear a mask at all times during their visit. Whether you are in one of our waiting areas, patient rooms, restrooms, hallways or cafeterias, a mask must be worn. If you do not have a mask, we will give you one before entering our facilities.
- We encourage the practice of social distancing, which means maintaining a distance of 6 feet from other patients and visitors. When you arrive for your visit, you may notice signage, including special floor decals, to help make sure everyone stands 6 feet apart in high traffic areas. You may also notice that seating has been rearranged in our waiting areas in order to follow social distancing guidelines.
- We have enhanced our cleaning measures. All areas are being frequently sanitized, and all counters are continuously being disinfected. We encourage visitors to wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds or use the readily available hand sanitizer provided throughout each of our facilities.
Rest assured that Children’s is making every effort to ensure our facilities are safe and ready to welcome you and your child. We look forward to seeing you at your next visit.