Educational opportunities for students age 18 or older
Children's Healthcare of Atlanta offers inpatient and outpatient observation opportunities to students who are interested in:
- Music therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Recreation therapy
- Sports medicine physical therapy
- Speech-language pathology
Through these observation opportunities, students have the chance to view the treatment of pediatric patients exhibiting a wide range of injuries, illnesses and disorders.
Students must be age 18 or older to observe due to HIPAA restrictions. Observations opportunities are limited because of staff availability and high census and are distributed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Most observations are scheduled at least 3 months in advance.
In order to best meet your needs and the availability of staff, it is important that you follow these guidelines:
- Apply by April 1st for Summer observations
- Have a flexible schedule
We offer two types of clinical observations in our two hospitals, nine outpatient rehabilitation locations and 10 sports medicine locations:
- Short-term observation–Eight hours or less. If you are not in a graduate program, you can only do a short-term observation.*
- Long-term observation–Longer than nine hours but not exceeding 20 hours, or 40 hours for sports medicine. Only students that are in a graduate program are eligible for long-term observation.*
*Graduate and non-graduate students are eligible for both short- and long-term sports medicine physical therapy and rehabilitation physical therapy observations.