We know that the parents of our patients can bring unique insights to the care we provide. Children’s is tapping into this resource with its Family Advisory Council (FAC), a collaborative venture with parents that gives them a formal opportunity to help us enhance our care-giving efforts.
Made up of parents of Children's patients—both past and present—as well as staff members from various divisions of our hospital, the FAC provides us with an invaluable patient/family perspective on our care.
The FAC has a clearly defined purpose, centered on enhancing children’s lives and promoting relationship-based care that:
- Helps improve relationships between patients, families and staff
- Creates a welcome forum for family input
- Gives families the opportunity to review recommendations referred to the council by hospital staff
- Offers families the chance to have input in program and policy development
- Provides an outlet to channel information and the needs and concerns of patient/families to hospital departments
The council meets regularly to help guide Children's on a variety of topics—from hospital parking and patient billing to hospital services, procedures and amenities. FAC members serve for at least two years, attend bimonthly daytime meetings and carry out requests as needed.
To apply to the FAC, fill out an application