Many people have asked how they can support Children's Healthcare of Atlanta during this unprecedented time. Our team has put together a list of seven easy ways you can support Children’s right now, right from your own home. Check out the list, as it includes everything from our COVID-19 needs to ways you can send our patients smiles.
How can I help Children's Healthcare of Atlanta right now?
1. Give to the Children’s COVID-19 needs
Help us fund much-needed supplies and equipment for our most fragile patients during this time and support other COVID-19 efforts to protect the community, such as research and online resources for families. These funds also provide amenities for our patients and families, such as art kits that patients can take to their rooms and toiletries for families staying overnight in the hospital.
2. Donate essential supplies
We love the spirit of our community. Throughout the years, Children's has relied on families, individuals and groups to drop off donations for our patients and families. Due to COVID-19, and the need to limit visitors to our hospitals, we are only accepting essential supplies at this time, including:
- Personal protective equipment (PPE): medical grade N95 masks, goggles, gel hand sanitizer, non-latex gloves, gowns and isolation masks
- Patient-facing items: Legos, play dough, infant & toddler toys, teen craft kits, coloring pencils, markers, coloring books (young and advanced), crayons and glue sticks (Please make sure all items are brand new to comply with infection control)
- Unopened boxes of individually-wrapped healthy snacks: granola bars, trail mix, individual servings of popcorn, snack crackers, dried fruits, etc.
- Disinfecting wipes to clean equipment, nurse areas, stretchers and beds, as well as other critical areas throughout the hospital
To donate these items, contact the following team members as donations need to be scheduled before drop-off. You can also discuss specific guidelines and quantities regarding donations.
- Egleston hospital: Ansley Johnson
- Hughes Spalding hospital: Charice Holt
- Scottish Rite hospital: Melanie Turner
3. Support Children’s while you shop online
For many of us, online retailers like Amazon have been a lifeline during COVID-19. Help us while you shop online by designating Children’s as a recipient of your Amazon Smile shopping. Sign in and simply select “Change Your Charity” in “Your Account” settings on the home page. Search for and select “Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.” A portion of the sales on all of your online orders will benefit Children’s.
4. Send a smile to our patients
Share a virtual high five, funny joke or message of encouragement to the patients at Children’s by sending a smile.Your messages will be shared on the closed-circuit TVs in each patient’s room to help remind our patients that they have friends cheering them on from afar.
5. Celebrate our healthcare heroes
Our employees are working around the clock to deliver the very best care to our patients. They are rising to the occasion to fight the challenges of this global health crisis and have shown they are true heroes among us. We are excited to encourage our team with your messages. Share your messages of hope, appreciation and encouragement by sending a smile.
6. Donate blood
The American Red Cross is calling for healthy individuals to donate blood due to an unprecedented number of blood drive cancellations during the COVID-19 pandemic. Though Children’s does not currently have any issues with our blood supply, these cancellations may pose a risk to our supply. We are so proud of our employees for donating blood at blood drives we’ve held at our hospitals.
7. Stay home, stay calm and wash your hands
One of the best ways to support Children’s is by doing your part to help protect the community from spreading COVID-19. Washing your hands often with soap and water, and practicing social distancing can help stop or slow down the spread of a highly contagious disease like COVID-19.