If a physician feels it is necessary, we will arrange an overnight sleep study, or polysomnogram. This kind of study requires a physician referral or a previous daytime consultation with one of our sleep disorder physicians. Overnight sleep studies are performed at our Egleston hospital, Scottish Rite hospital and Children's at Satellite Boulevard locations.
It may be appropriate to schedule an overnight sleep study if your child snores loud enough to disrupt his sleeping, resulting in:
- Daytime problems with sleepiness
- Difficulty with behavior, especially in a younger child
- Difficulty paying attention in school
- Declining academic performance.
During a sleep study, we monitor your child's:
- Brain waves
- Heart rate
- Body movements
Our sleep studies:
- Are painless—no needles are used
- Are done overnight in a private room with a parent present
- Are covered by most insurance companies