The multidisciplinary team of experts at the Children’s Asthma Center works to ensure an accurate diagnosis and the best care possible for each patient. We specialize in the treatment of children with pulmonary and breathing disorders.
Advanced Diagnostic Tools
The Asthma Center's Home Depot Pulmonary Function Testing (PFT) lab houses advanced diagnostic tools to measure lung capacity and function, including:
- Spirometry testing—evaluates lung function, specifically the volume of air that can be inhaled and exhaled and restriction to air flow.
- Pulmonary plethysmography—measures total lung capacity and looks for hyperinflation or restriction in lung volumes.
- Methacholine challenge testing—diagnoses airway hyperreactivity using a bronchial challenge test.
- Diffusion capacity—measures ability of lungs to absorb oxygen.
- Exercise challenge—diagnoses airway hyperactivity by evaluating lung function before and after exercise on a treadmill.
Other Comprehensive Services
- Allergy testing and immunology evaluation
- Asthma Control Test at every visit
- Specialized physician, pediatric nurse practitioner and respiratory therapist care as well as access to social work
- Individualized, comprehensive care to help you take control of your child’s asthma
- Communication to primary care physicians for optimal asthma management
- Access to an after-hours, on-call asthma physician
- Inpatient consults
- Education for patient families and school staff
- Coordination with asthma-related wellness initiatives
- High Risk Asthma program to provide closer monitoring and care to patients with severe asthma
- Immunotherapy, also known as allergy shots