Children’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a committee that helps protect the rights and welfare of human subjects in research. The board operates in compliance with hospital research policies and with the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Department of Health & Human Services (DHHS), and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The IRB reports to the Children’s Audit and Compliance Committee of the Board in conjunction with Children’s administration.
The IRB’s primary concerns are to determine that:
- The rights and welfare of the subjects are protected adequately.
- The risks to subjects are outweighed by the potential benefits of the research.
- The selection of subjects is equitable.
- Informed consent is obtained and documented or waived, as appropriate.
All research activities involving human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the IRB, unless the IRB can prospectively determine the research falls into a category of exemption established by federal regulation.
The Children’s IRB meets monthly to review research proposals to be conducted at Children’s or otherwise involving Children's faculty, staff, facilities or property. Children's researchers must submit a complete application packet to the IRB office. Proposals requiring full board review will be scheduled for the earliest available meeting.
FWA and IRB Registration Numbers
- The Children’s Federalwide Assurance number is FWA00000644
- The Children's IRB registration number is IRB00001436
- The Children's IORG number is IORG0001045
Information and resources
We offer a wide range of resources and information to assist researchers, including:
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
Institutional Review Board Office, Third Floor
1687 Tullie Circle NE
Atlanta, GA 30329