Many children experience developmental delays or disabilities in childhood. The nature and severity of the delay can vary. Some children experience a delay in one area of development, while others experience multiple delays. This can make daily activities like walking, getting dressed, communicating and playing even more challenging than for other children.
Regardless of the type or severity of delay, evidence demonstrates all children benefit from early recognition of the problem and timely treatment. The treatment should be tailored to the child’s specific developmental needs. Early identification and treatment can help your child reach his or her own maximum potential.
Gaining access to beneficial support while your child is young helps build a solid foundation for their future learning and success. Our developmental neurology team is committed to partnering with you and your family to help your child reach their full potential and lead a rich and fulfilling life.
We see children for a variety of different concerns, including:
- Global developmental delay
- Speech delay
- Intellectual disability or cognitive delay
- Autism spectrum disorder with specific neurological concerns
- Motor delay
- Coordination problems
- Hypotonia or hypertonia
- Microcephaly or macrocephaly
- Developmental regression
Conditions we don't treat in our clinic:
- Behavior problems or medicine management for behavior
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Learning disabilities
- Recent trauma, abuse and neglect (less than 12 months)
- Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) without specific neurological concerns
These children are better served by: