About the Children’s Pediatric Rehabilitation Observation
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta offers inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation observation opportunities to students who are interested in:
- Music therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- Recreational therapy
- Sports physical therapy
- Speech-language pathology
Through these educational opportunities, students have a chance to view the treatment of pediatric patients exhibiting a wide range of injuries, illnesses and disorders.
Students must be 18 or older to observe due to Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) restrictions. Observations are limited because of staff availability and high census and are distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. Most observations are scheduled at least three months in advance.
In order to best meet your needs and staff availability, it is important that you follow these guidelines:
- Apply by April 1 for summer rehabilitation observations.
- Have a flexible schedule.
We offer two types of clinical observations in our two hospitals, three outpatient rehabilitation locations and 14 sports medicine locations:
- Short-term observation: Eight hours or less. If you are not in a graduate program, you can only do a short-term observation.*
- Long-term observation: Longer than nine hours but not exceeding 20 hours, or 40 hours for sports physical therapy. Only students that are in a graduate program are eligible for long-term observation.*
We offer rehabilitation observations on regular business days. At this time, we do not offer observations on weekends or holidays.
The Children’s dress code does not permit jeans or open-toed shoes in clinical environments.Apply for an observation
*Graduate and nongraduate students are eligible for short- and long-term sports physical therapy and physical therapy rehabilitation observations.