Guiding You Through the Research Funding Process
The Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta Office of Research Administration supports and facilitates sponsored research toward fulfilling our educational, research and public service missions. Building to the future, Children’s is dedicated to improving the health of children through national leadership in research, innovation and transformational clinical programs.
From reviewing and submitting proposals for sponsored research to negotiating and executing clinical trial agreements and managing sponsored grants and contracts, the Office of Research Administration team strives to provide excellent stewardship of sponsored programs.
In addition, the Office of Research Administration serves as a liaison between sponsors, physicians, the Office of General Counsel, the Foundation and other internal departments to ultimately help make sure Children's receives fair and reasonable agreements, and conducts research that is compliant with federal, state, local and sponsor regulations, terms and conditions.
- Coordinates with study teams and external sponsors
- Reviews, edits and submits proposals and letters of intent to sponsors
- Reviews budgets against negotiated indirect and fringe rates
- Negotiates budgets for clinical research studies and trials, including coverage analyses to drive compliant research billing processes for study-related patient care charges.
- Facilitates and manages internal routing of documents for sponsored programs
- Processes and routes new awards and amendments appropriately, ensuring accuracy and completeness, to the Office of General Counsel for negotiation and execution
- Provides institutional information, and assists with official form preparation
- Maintains proposal files and documents
- Collaborates with the Office of Grants Accounting on award setup and project management
- Generates the Notice of Award for sponsored projects and distributes to appropriate study personnel for fully executed agreements
- Generates and executes outgoing subcontracts, subgrants and amendments under awards as needed, incorporating appropriate terms and conditions
- Manages the post-award research administration processes for clinical studies and trials to ensure timely and accurate invoicing of sponsors
- Partners with investigators and Office of Grants Accounting to complete grant close-outs and reporting
- Maintains project files and documents
Gifts vs. Sponsored programs
The classification of external funding as a gift or a sponsored project serves as an important step in ensuring that the appropriate accounting and compliance treatment is used.
Provisional activity number (PAN) request form
For additional information on when a PAN can be requested, please refer to Policy AO 14-01 Activity Number Request.
Contact email@example.com to request a PAN.
Amanda Simpson, Director
Office of Research Administration
Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
1575 Northeast Expressway
Atlanta, GA 30329