High school football is a highly competitive, high-impact sport. Following a few safety tips will keep players in the game:
- Check to ensure athletes are playing positions that are suitable for their size and skill level. Speed, strength and size play major roles in determining what positions are right for a player.
- Athletes should compete against others of similar build and stature to avoid injury.
- Even the youngest athletes can benefit from learning proper techniques and training methods.
- Educate players about "spearing"—the illegal use of one's helmet to block an opponent.
- Learn the rules of the game. Playing within the rules helps keep everyone safe on the field.
- Train to always tackle with your head up.
- Wear safety gear and make sure it fits properly. A helmet and proper padding are very important to preventing injuries.