How to Request Copies of Medical Records
A parent, guardian or child older than age 18* should:
- *A child who is 18 years or older may request copies without his parent or guardian signature.
- Then, mail or fax the form to:
Sibley Heart Center Cardiology
Medical Records Department
2835 Brandywine Road, Suite 300
Atlanta, GA 30341-5510
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a physician need a patient’s written authorization to send a copy of the patient’s medical record to another physician who will treat the patient?
- No, a health care provider may disclose protected health information about an individual, without the individual’s authorization, to another health care provider for that provider’s treatment of the individual. To confirm that the patient is actively receiving treatment at the requestor’s office, we may ask for written verification from the physician office (usually on letterhead or fax cover sheet).
Is there a fee for copies of medical records?
- No fee is required for records sent to physicians or health care providers for continuation of care.
- A fee is applied for records requested by insurance companies, litigation cases, Social Security Administration and for personal use.
How much does it cost?
A fee is applied to cover the cost of labor and time. The State of Georgia regulates the charge per page.
||Up to $25.88
||Up to $9.70 per record
|Copying costs for
||1 to 20 pages
||$0.97 per page
||21 to 100 pages
||$0.83 per page
||More than 100 pages
||$0.66 per page
How long will it take to receive the records?
Non-emergency requests are processed within five to seven weekdays.
May I fax a completed authorization form?
Yes. Fax your child’s authorization form to 770-488-9403.
Records will be mailed to the address listed on the authorization form. Records will only be faxed to a physician's office in the case of an emergency. Records are not faxed to personal fax machines.
Call the Medical Records Department at 404-256-2593 for help or more information.