- Concussion in Children
Dr. Reisner and the Children’s concussion team take a look at the history of concussions and provide insight into the definitions, guidelines and treatments for a condition that affects millions of children each year.
Authors: Andrew Reisner, M.D., F.A.C.S., F.A.A.P.; Natalie Tillman, R.N., B.S.N.; Linda Cole, R.N.; Elizabeth Atkins, R.N.; Greg Pereira, R.N., B.S.N., M.B.A., Mary Thacher, R.N., MSN, CEN. Concussions in Children. Neuro Update Vol 5, Issue 1, 2011.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Point of Care Quick Reference: Head Injuries. Pediatric Care Online.
- Atabaki SM. Pediatric head injury. Pediatrics in Review. 2007 Jun; 28(6): 215-24.
- Bin, SS, Schutzman SA and Greenes DS. Validation of a clinical score to predict skull fracture in head injured infants. Ped Emer Care 26 (9) Sept 2010: 633-639.
- Brody AS, Frush DP and Brent RL Radiation risk to children from computed tomography. PED 120(3) Sept 2007; 677-682.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Heads up: Concussion in youth sports.
- Hall Eric J. Lessons we have learned from our children: cancer risks from diagnostic radiology. Pediatr Rad (2002)32:700-706.
- Kluger J. (2011, January 31). Headbanger Nation. Time, 177, 42-51.
- Kupperman N et al. Identification of Children at very low risk of clinically important brain injuries after head trauma: a prospective cohort study. Lancet 2009: 374:1160-70.
- Palchak MJ et al. A decision rule for identifying children at low risk for brain injuries after blunt head trauma. Ann Emer Med Oct 2003: 42:4; 492-506.
- Palchak MJ et al. Does an isolated history of low of consciousness or amnesia predict brain injuries in children after blunt head trauma? PED 113:6; June 2004; e507-513.
- Pauline Anderson. (2010, September 10). New Guidance on Management of Increasing Problem of Sports-Related Concussions in Children. Medscape Medical News.
- Practice Guidelines: The Management of Minor Closed Head Injury in Children. PED 1998; 104; 6:1407-1415.
- Schnadower D et al. Controversies in the evaluation and management of minor blunt head trauma in children. Curr Opin Ped 2007;19:258-264.Schutzman SA et al. Evaluation and management of children younger than two years old with apparently minor head trauma: proposed guideleins. PED 107(5) May 2001 983-993.