Comeback Athletes


2015 Comeback Athlete of the Year Thompson Ritter

School: George Walton Academy
Grade: 12th
Sport: Baseball
Team: George Walton Academy Bulldogs
Injury/disorder: Spinal cord tumor, scoliosis
Quote: "The first time that I walked I only took three, four or five steps, but to them, and to me, that was a big accomplishment."

  • Thompson plays baseball, basketball and golf, and runs cross country.
  • He is the starting left-handed pitcher on the varsity baseball team.
  • Thompson has plans of studying to become a physician assistant and one day work in pediatric sports medicine.
  • Because of his surgeries, comebacks and time spent at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, Thompson is forming a fundraising group at his high school benefiting Children’s.

As a pitcher, Thompson Ritter was used to throwing strikes—but when he was diagnosed with scoliosis and, later, a low-grade spinal tumor; the strikes seemed to be against him.

For someone who is “very motivated by sports,” according to his mother, Thompson persevered through four major surgeries and intensive rehabilitation.

Despite his setbacks, he didn’t take himself out of the game. 

Strike One

During a routine sports checkup, Thompson was diagnosed with scoliosis. For eight months he slept in a back brace, until he began to suffer from debilitating pain in his back and neck in Nov. 2010.

“My back had never really hurt that bad before,” Thompson said.

“The pain he felt was out of proportion to what we typically see” with scoliosis, said Dennis P. Devito, M.D., Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon. He knew that the pain Thompson was experiencing was a red flag that something else was going on and called for an MRI.

Strike Two

The MRI revealed a 12-inch tumor extending the majority of the length of Thompson’s spine. He was immediately admitted to the Children’s Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at Scottish Rite hospital.

“I knew what could happen,” Thompson said about the discovery of the tumor. “I knew that the things that I liked could be taken away, and it was scary.”

In Dec. 2010, Barun Brahma, M.D., Pediatric Neurosurgeon at Children’s, performed a nine-hour surgery in which he was able to safely remove 90 percent of the tumor. Ten percent could not be removed without the risk of causing more damage.

Following surgery, Thompson temporarily lost feeling in his right leg and was unable to walk.

He began physical therapy in the Children’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Program with two goals in mind—to walk out of Children’s by himself and return to baseball in the spring.

He did both.

“They work miracles up there on that third floor,” said Jennifer Ritter, Thompson’s mother.

In Dec. 2011, Thompson was back at Children’s to correct the curvature in his spine that the tumor and spinal fluid buildup had caused. He underwent a second surgery to place titanium rods along his spine.

“When he stood up from surgery for the first time, he just kept going and going and going,” his mother said.

Once again, he returned to baseball the following Spring.

Strike Three

In May 2013, Thompson began experiencing pain and stiffness in his neck again, and an MRI revealed that the tumor along his spine had grown back to its original size.

Dr. Brahma performed two additional operations, four days apart, to successfully remove all of the tumor.

“They had done their job with the surgery,” Thompson said, “And it was time for me to do my job.”

Following surgery, he underwent a month of intense rehabilitation at Children’s.

“They tried to incorporate things I like to do, so it made it a lot easier,” Thompson said. “Every day I wanted to go to rehab. Physical therapy was my way to play in the hospital.”

Back in the Game

Though the road was rough, Thompson is back in the game.

He is a starting left-handed pitcher on the high school varsity baseball team and has plans to study to become a physician assistant, specifically working in pediatric sports medicine.

“I think about it as giving back,” he said. “They gave so much to me. I want to help kids get back to the things they love.”

1 related videos

2015 January Comeback Athlete: Thompson RitterView

Thompson Ritter was an avid baseball pitcher until he was diagnosed with scoliosis and, later, a low-grade spinal tumor. Through four major surgeries and intensive rehabilitation, he persevered to get back on the mound.


April Comeback Athlete Madelynn “Maddie” Woodard

School: Chestatee High School
Grade: 9th   
Sport: Volleyball
Team: Metro Volleyball/Chestatee High
Injury/disorder: Supraventricular Tachycardia (SVT)
Quote: "Volleyball is such a high-speed sport, and now I can play faster than ever before."

  • Maddie has been playing volleyball for five seasons.
  • She first started experiencing symptoms around age 6.
  • Off the court, Maddie is passionate about art and social media, running her school’s National Honor Society Twitter page.

Madelynn “Maddie” Woodard has a passion for volleyball. While on vacation several years ago, she was playing a pick-up game on the beach when a player on the other side spiked the ball in her face. She decided right then and there to learn the sport and be able to serve back just as hard—and to never get spiked again.

Maddie started playing at school and on several club teams as she discovered her passion for volleyball. Familiar symptoms began, however, as she started competing at a higher level.

The Ghost in the Machine

Since Maddie was 6, she’d experience episodes where her heart would start beating incredibly fast. She’d get short of breath, dizzy and extremely tired. “When I was younger, I would tell my mom it felt like I was having a heart attack,” Maddie said. The condition had affected her performance in swimming, and it was starting to inhibit her volleyball playing.

Doctors couldn’t figure out what was wrong. Some thought it was asthma, while some thought it may be anxiety. The episodes were generally triggered when Maddie experienced some sort of stressor while performing intense cardiovascular exercise.

Her mother, Stephanie, didn’t know what to do. “I watched my child go from active and outgoing to quiet and scared and doubting her own body,” she said. “We chased this ghost for almost six years, desperately seeking a way to make Maddie feel better.”

When she reached eighth grade, her passion for volleyball steadily growing, the family knew they had to do something to keep Maddie on the court.

Solving the Puzzle

The family decided to head to Sibley Heart Center at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, meeting with C. Wesley Lindsey, M.D. From the outset, Maddie felt at home. She finally felt recognized for her ability instead of judged for her shortcomings.   

“Dr. Lindsey called her an athlete four times during her initial consultation,” Stephanie said. Maddie was to wear a heart rate monitor for several months so they could capture data on her heart. One day at practice not long after, Maddie had an episode, and Dr. Lindsey was able to diagnose it. She had supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). 

“Basically, I have pathways inside my heart which make heartbeats stack up. The heartbeats get recycled and start doubling up, making my heart beat really fast,” Maddie said, describing the way Dr. Lindsey explained the condition to her.

“The diagnosis was more than just naming the condition—it actually empowered Maddie and made her feel more in control and more dedicated to her sport,” Stephanie said.

Ace on the Court

Maddie and her family decided on a surgical treatment option to cure Maddie’s SVT. The surgery was not open-heart but something called an ablation, where doctors go in through veins in the leg.

The minimally invasive procedure was planned so that Maddie would have exactly two weeks to recover before the nationals tournament in Orlando. Performed on a Wednesday, the surgery took four and a half hours, and she was back on the court by Sunday.

Maddie is finishing up ninth grade, and thanks to Children’s, is now back to hitting hard at the net. “Volleyball is such a high-speed sport, and I can play faster than ever before,” Maddie said. Her team depends on her, and she’s happy to be able to continue giving 110%.

1 related videos

2015 April Comeback Athlete: Madelynn WoodardView

Maddie lived with symptoms of a heart condition for 6 years before she met her self-described medical champion, Dr. Lindsey. Unlike most, Maddie received the diagnosis with a huge sense of relief. After surgery to treat supraventricular tachycardia (SVT), she competed in volleyball nationals less than two weeks later.


March Comeback Athlete Bilal Abdur-Rahim

School: Wheeler High School
Grade: 12th   
Sport: Basketball
Team: Wheeler Wildcats
Injury/disorder: Torn meniscus
Quote: "I don't remember a time in my life when I wasn't playing basketball."

  • 6'4" senior, varsity basketball
  • Bilal made the winning lay-up in the regional championship game, a 61-59 defeat against Pope High School.
  • If he doesn't become a professional basketball player, he has hopes of becoming an orthopaedic surgeon to help others with sports injuries.

A Lifelong Passion

Bilal Abdur-Rahim lives for basketball and the family-like nature of this team sport. He's played since he could walk. "I played for as long as I can remember," Bilal said. "I actually don't remember the last day that I didn’t pick up a ball."

He enjoys the competitive nature of the game, and when he's on the court he knows how important it is to push yourself. "It's all about the mental aspect. What you think you can do, you can do. It's 90 percent mental, 10 percent ability," Bilal said. "It's a mental game." 

That 10 percent, however, can be physically hard on a young athlete's joints. The quick feet and start-and-stop running required for pivoting and cutting during play can set a young athlete up for knee injuries.


In June 2014, Bilal suffered what he thought was a minor knee injury while playing. The knee swelled and caused pain, but Bilal played through the discomfort. Several weeks later, the pain hadn't subsided—he and his family decided to get treatment at Scottish Rite hospital.  

A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) revealed a torn meniscus—the cartilage between his leg bone and thigh bone had been damaged, causing the intense pain.

S. Clifton Willimon, M.D., Medical Director, Orthopaedic Quality and Outcomes, Orthopaedic Surgeon, at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, informed Bilal that surgery was the best option for a successful recovery and the longevity of his basketball career.

In late October, he underwent a partial medial meniscotomy. Dr. Willimon inserted a small camera into the knee joint through several small incisions, allowing him to view the tear and to repair it with miniature surgical tools.

"For young athletes, we don't know always know their athletic potential, so we treat every kid as if they're going to be the next super star. And in Bilal's case, the odds are high," Dr. Willimon said.

Bilal, who is used to working together with his teammates, also had the chance to see collaboration off the court. "The team effort—from the athletic trainer at the high school who identified the injury to the physical trainer in rehab after surgery—is what has made his recovery so successful," Dr. Willimon said.

Bilal worked hard, next entering outpatient rehabilitation at Children's at Town Center. "He achieved roughly 95 percent range of motion on his very first visit—which isn't typical," said Matt Owens, Physical Therapist.

Championship Bound

By mid-December, just two months after his surgery, Bilal was back on the court, and he scored the game-winning lay-up against Pope High School at the regional championships.

Bilal credits the amazing support of his team with keeping him on his feet. "It's a confidence booster to know your team believes in you," he said. Bilal knows that being part of a team is about supporting each other through good times and rough. 

Bilal and the Wheeler Wildcats have continued their success, recently bringing home the state 6AAAAAA championships against Pebblebrook High School.

1 related videos

2015 March Comeback Athlete: Bilal Abdur-RahimView

Bilal Abdur-Rahim underwent meniscus surgery just a few short months before his senior basketball season began. He credits his speedy recovery to his team, who he describes as a family. Not only did he return in time to score the game-winning shot in the regional championships; that family just won the state championship title, too.


February Comeback Athlete Khalli Crooke

School: Red Oak Elementary
Grade: 4th
Sport: Wheelchair basketball, wheelchair handball
Team: Henry Hurricanes
Injury/disorder: Cerebral palsy, Bilateral femoral derotational surgery

  • Khalli’s favorite basketball player is LeBron James.
  • His music of choice is anything by Michael Jackson.
  • His favorite part of his stay at Children’s was playing video games and visiting The Zone.

Now an avid wheelchair basketball and handball player, Khalli Crooke’s road to the court wasn’t a smooth one. His road back would be even bumpier.

Khalli and his twin brother were born prematurely at just 26 weeks. Upon delivery, Khalli suffered a stroke and later developed cerebral palsy and hearing loss.

After being told that her son would never walk or talk, Khalli’s mother knew that he would persevere—and he did.


Although he didn’t walk until the age of 2, Khalli immediately took to sports. Soccer and basketball were among his favorites.

It wasn’t until Khalli was 7 that he noticed his legs were not straightening. He was getting weaker and feeling pain, but he wanted to continue doing what he loved.

“He realized that his legs didn’t move as fast as his brother or the kids in his class,” said Tamara Gammon-Crooke, Khalli’s mother. “He started wondering if he was going to be the odd one out.”

After several years of physical and occupational therapy, Khalli still wasn’t performing at 100 percent.

He and his family made the decision that it was time for surgery, and Khalli underwent a procedure at Egleston hospital to correct his femoral anteversion.


Following surgery, Khalli was experiencing pain and difficulty moving, so he was transferred to the Children’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Program to regain strength and the use of his legs.

Upon arriving, Khalli’s first request was to go outside and play basketball. And he did—wheelchair, bandages, IV and all.

“He really worked hard. He was definitely a fighter,” said Allison Clark, a physical therapist in the Inpatient Rehabilitation Program, said. “The kids that have these incredible outcomes are the ones that keep us coming back to work every day and Khalli’s a great example of a kid that made it back and then some.”


Before Khalli was discharged, the staff introduced him to adaptive sports, which are sports modified so that players can participate according to their physical ability. Khalli would be able to play the sports he loves, but with a new challenge—from a wheelchair.

Khalli joined the Henry Hurricanes, an adaptive basketball team in his hometown. “Khalli’s face lit up the first time he saw children like him,” said Tamara. “He really felt included.”

“He came right in, got in the chair and has never stopped pushing,” said Khalli’s coach, Harlon Matthews, head coach of the Henry Hurricanes basketball team.

Through his journey, Khalli’s love for sports has remained, and no matter his physical condition, he’s learned that he’s strong enough to keep playing—and coming back.

1 related videos

2015 February Comeback Athlete: Khalli CrookeView

Khalli Crooke has faced more obstacles than anyone should have to in a lifetime—and he’s only 10 years old. After learning of adaptive sports during his stay at Children’s, Khalli is back to playing basketball and loving every minute.


December Comeback Athlete Andavea "Andy" Alexander

School: Georgia Cyber Academy
Grade: 12th    
Sport: Gymnastics
Team: Carrollton Gymnastics
Injury/disorder: Torn rotator cuff, labrum and bicep
Quote: "Getting hurt is just a part of gymnastics, but you recover and you keep moving forward."

  • Andy’s favorite event is the bars, despite suffering her injury during a bar routine.
  • She is hopeful to compete in gymnastics at the collegiate level next year.
  • Andy has also torn both hamstrings during her gymnastics training. She returned to competitions after those injuries, too.
  • She is a level 10 gymnast and trains more than 20 hours a week.
  • Andy also teaches classes for the younger gymnasts in Carrollton.

Andavea "Andy" Alexander spends most—if not all—of her time in the gym. Participating in year-round gymnastics and competitions since she was 7, Andy has won multiple state meets and competed at the national level.

"There's a lot more to gymnastics than just the flipping," she said. "It's a thrill."

As a gymnast, she was used to the normal aches and pains that come with the sport. But when it became impossible to hold onto the bar with her left arm, Andy knew something was wrong.

Very Few Make It

By the age of 18, Andy was a Level 10 gymnast competing in state and national competitions—and winning. "Very few make it to the level of difficulty at which Andy was performing," her coach, Kelly Keown, said, likening Andy's performance to that of Olympic gymnasts.

During a competition bar routine in February, Andy went to perform a blind—a turning element where, for a moment, the gymnast is upside down hanging on by the grip of just one arm.

"She went to turn upside down and her arm just kept going. It didn't even look like it was attached," Keown said. "Coaching for 20 years, I've seen a lot of accidents, and this was the scariest by far."

Despite falling from the bar, Andy got back up, pushed through the pain and completed her routine.

"I'm glad I didn't see it," Andy said. "It's kind of devastating. You make it so far and realize you just can't do it."

Surgery and Physical Therapy

Her season over, Andy would need surgery to fix a torn rotator cuff, bicep and labrum. S. Clifton Willimon, M.D., of Children's Healthcare of Atlanta was able to repair the tears, and the procedure was a success.

In April, Andy began physical therapy. As a gymnast, she knew her rehab and recovery process would be a little different because of the intense motion and flexibility she needed to regain. At Children's at Fayette, Andy met with Colleen Crosby, P.T., D.P.T., a physical therapist familiar with gymnastics who would be able to help Andy get her strength back. A former collegiate athlete, Colleen knew that Andy’s treatment had to be tailored to her sport.

"We had to postpone gymnastics, which didn't make her happy," Colleen said. "Until she got that superhuman strength and superhuman range back that gymnasts seem to have."

Getting Back on the Bars

At the beginning of treatment, Andy wasn't able to perform some of the gymnastic moves she had mastered when she was 7. But by October she was back, and she credits her doctors and physical therapists for helping her to get this far.

"Getting hurt is just a part of gymnastics, but you recover and you keep moving forward," Andy said.
Although she is still in physical therapy, she is also back in the gym, working tirelessly with the same dedication to the sport that she's had since she was little.  

1 related videos

2014 December Comeback Athlete: Andavea AlexanderView

Andavea "Andy" Alexander is a competitive level 10 gymnast. Year-round training finally took a toll on her shoulder, and in Feb. 2014 she tore her rotator cuff, bicep and labrum during a competition bar routine. She returned to the gym three months after surgery and has improved her strength and skills with dedication and the help of physical therapy.  


November Comeback Athlete Will Kimsey

School: Social Circle High School
Grade: 9th   
Sport: Swimming
Team: Westchester Lakes Wahoos/Social Circle High
Injury/disorder: Herniated disc with nerve compression
Quote: “I just like being in the water, being a part of the team and improving my times.”

  • Will had brain surgery at age 8 because of a bleed in his right temporal lobe. He returned to swimming after that injury, too.
  • He has also played baseball, soccer and tennis. He can’t play high-impact sports because of his brain surgery.
  • Will’s favorite stroke is the breaststroke. His favorite event is the 50-meter breaststroke.
  • His least favorite is butterfly because it hurts his back.
  • Will has a younger sister named Kaylee

Will Kimsey was born to be in the water. From his "Mommy and Me" swimming classes at age 1 to competing in state swim meets, Will has always felt at home in the pool.

"I just love being in the water," he said. "That is what I live for."

Because of his passion for swimming, the most painful part of a recent back injury for Will wasn’t the injury itself, the surgery or the physical therapy.

It was being forced out of the pool. 

Falling Down

By the time he was 12 years old, Will had already become a formidable swimmer. He was competing at a state level and was consistently setting new personal records to break.

Unfortunately, his swimming career was put on hold in sixth grade when he fell 4 feet off a loading deck onto his back.

"I barely remember it," he said. "All I know is I landed on my back and had an extreme pain in my back and shooting down my legs. It was like being stabbed in the back and legs."

Will could barely walk. His parents, Tammy and David, brought him to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta for an MRI. The scan revealed that he had a herniated vertebra that was causing nerve compression.

"When it first started, the pain was just so severe," David said. "It was devastating to watch this child who had been so active lying in a chair in constant pain."

Treatment and Recovery

The Kimsey family was desperate to alleviate the pain Will was feeling. He had also developed a limp, which Barun Brahma, M.D., a pediatric neurosurgeon at Children’s, worried would make his spine injury even worse.

Dr. Brahma recommended a microdiscectomy, a minimally invasive procedure that removes a portion of the herniated vertebra to relieve the nerve compression.

"That did scare me," Will said, "but if it helped, I was all for it."

About a month after the procedure, Will started physical therapy at Children’s at Snellville, focusing on strengthening his core muscles to help support his back.

"The physical therapy was pretty painful, but he pushed through it," Tammy said. "He didn’t fight us on it. He has always been very mature for his age."

To help manage his pain, Will worked with Cindy Schoell, Psy.D., a psychologist at Children’s who specializes in helping kids cope with chronic pain.

Getting Up

For nearly two years, Will had to watch his friends swim and improve while he worked on strengthening his back.

"I know it ripped his heart out not being a part of the team," Tammy said.

As his pain decreased, Will thought more and more about swimming again. But he had to be cautious. In the fall of 2013, when it was time to join his school’s team, he decided he was ready to swim.

"The first few weeks, it was pretty painful," he said. "But eventually my core strengthened up and I got used to it."

The more he got used to it, the better he started swimming. By the end of the summer season in 2014, Will returned to the state level, finishing seventh in two events with his relay team.

"It is just amazing to see how he has brought himself back," his proud dad said.

1 related videos

2014 November Comeback Athlete: Will KimseyView

A 4-foot fall onto his back kept 14-year-old Will Kimsey from his favorite sport, swimming, for nearly two years. After surgery and months of physical therapy, Will is back in the pool, winning races and competing at the state level.


October Comeback Athlete Tarik Jalil

School: Flowery Branch High
Grade: 11th   
Sport: Football
Team: Flowery Branch Falcons
Position: Cornerback
Number: 20
Injury/disorder: Torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL)
Quote: “I think if I hadn’t gotten injured, I wouldn’t be as humble as I am right now. I know that any play could be your last, so I just have to play with that mindset. You have to go all out for that play.”

  • Tarik started playing football at 8 years old.
  • Because he was so small when he started playing, Tarik’s mom had to teach him how to tackle by “hitting them low.”
  • After his house burned down, Tarik only missed one football practice.
  • Tarik has aspirations to play in the NFL. If that doesn’t work out, he wants to be a physical therapist.

Tarik Jalil speaks softly, but his smile and attitude carry more than enough volume.

In the last few years, the junior at Flowery Branch High has been through his, and a few other young athletes’, share of obstacles. He was given plenty of opportunities to break down, pout and give up.

Instead, he steadied his focus, displayed a positive outlook and made it back to where he wanted to be—the football field.

Obstacle One

In the first game of his freshman season at Mill Creek High, Tarik was running down the field and planted his left leg to turn. He felt a pop in his knee and hit the ground.

The team’s trainer said he thought it was a tear of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his knee. An MRI a few days later confirmed it.

The injury would require surgery and extensive physical therapy. His freshman season was over.

“I didn’t really know what that was,” he said. “I never thought I’d have a big injury like that. When they told me how long it would take to heal, it really upset me.”

But he didn’t linger on that feeling for long. He knew he had important work in front of him.

Tarik’s mom, Habibah, brought him to Egleston hospital for his surgery. Soon after, Tarik started physical therapy at Children’s at Suwanee.

“It was hard at first, having to go there instead of practice,” Tarik said. “Once everything started coming back and my knee started to feel better, I just rolled with it.”

Obstacle Two

After nearly a year, Tarik was ready to get back to the field. Unfortunately, his first comeback would be short lived.

During the first day of a football camp before his sophomore season, he felt another pop in his left knee. As soon as he had difficulty bending his knee, he knew he had torn his ACL again.

His sophomore season was over before it started. Habibah could not believe her son’s misfortune.

“It was surreal,” she said. “But he was telling me that it was going to be OK. He was just ready to start the process again.”

So start it he did. He went through another surgery. He went through another round of physical therapy, this time at Children’s at Hamilton Mill.

“I don’t believe he ever complained about having bad luck over the past two years,” said Allison Smith, P.T., D.P.T., M.T.C., A.T.C. “He approached every new challenge with diligence and commitment.”

Obstacle Three

In August 2014, Habibah was with her sons at the dentist’s office when she received a call from work. The family’s house was on fire.

When they arrived at the house, it was still burning. The loss was complete. The family was only able to save a few pieces of clothing.

“It was devastating,” Habibah said. “I just didn’t think it could happen to us.”

Despite another setback, Tarik held on to his positive attitude. He became the steady foundation that his family needed most.

“He always told me it was going to be OK,” Habibah said. “He just knew it was. Through the whole thing, he was so positive and optimistic.”

Tarik’s team and the Flowery Branch community rallied around the family, finding them a house and furniture inside of a month. The cornerback with the big smile was not going to have to miss any playing time.

Moving Forward

Tarik says the football field is where he goes to forget about everything else. It is his sanctuary.

But when life threw punch after punch toward him, on and off the field, he was able to push his heels down and keep moving forward by maintaining a single belief.

“I knew I had somewhere to go,” he said. “I knew where I wanted to go in life.” 

1 related videos

2014 October Comeback Athlete: Tarik JalilView

Through two torn ACLs and his house burning down, Tarik Jalil always maintained a smile and a positive attitude. By doing so, he was able to return to his football team for his junior season at Flowery Branch High.


September Comeback Athlete Savannah Bryant

School: Cheatham Hill Elementary
Grade: 3rd
Sport: Equestrian
Team: Copper Hill Sporthorses
Injury/disorder: Broken clavicle
Quote: “(Riding a horse) makes me feel like I’m flying.”

  • Savannah’s favorite horses to ride are Kate and Muffin.
  • Her interest in riding horses first started when she would ride ponies at the North Georgia Fair.
  • She has two brothers who are 6 and 8 years older than her respectively.
  • After her injury, she placed first and sixth at the Rolling Hill Saddle Club Show in two events. She placed fourth out of 18 in her first jumping competition soon after.

The feeling 8-year-old Savannah Bryant gets when riding one of her horses is unlike anything else she can experience on the ground.

“It makes me feel like I’m flying,” she said.

Because she had gotten so used to that feeling, Savannah found it very difficult when an injury left her grounded.

From Hobby to Passion

Savannah’s interest in riding horses started at the North Georgia Fair, where she would always ride the ponies. Before she was 4 years old, she was begging her parents to let her ride a full-grown horse.

Her mother, Tiffany, was hesitant. But she figured either the horse trainer would say Savannah was too small or her daughter would be too scared.

Neither scenario played out as her daughter was shown how to properly brush a horse.

“Savannah looked up at that horse, picked up each brush and began to do what the trainer told her to do,” Tiffany said. “From that point forward, we’ve been doing it.”

Over the Top

Because Tiffany wears the badge of “protective mother” proudly, she is at the barn watching her only daughter ride as often as possible. Thus it was no fluke that she was there in February 2014 when Savannah had her scariest moment riding.

As she and another rider turned a tight corner, something spooked Savannah’s horse, causing her to buck. Savannah managed to stay on after the first buck, but the second sent her over the horse’s head and onto the sandy ground.

“We were concerned about a concussion at this point,” Tiffany said. “We didn’t think about anything else.”

After taking a minute and dusting herself off, Savannah got back on her horse and finished out the last 20 minutes of her session.

A Little Lopsided

“I can’t lift my arm,” Savannah said, struggling to take off her jacket at home.

Once Tiffany helped her daughter take off her riding clothes, she noticed that her left shoulder was hanging a little lower than her right. Savannah refused ice or Advil, thinking the injury wasn’t that serious.

“My wife said Savannah was looking a little lopsided,” Savannah’s father, Todd, said.

It was then that Tiffany suspected her daughter had broken a bone. She called ahead to Children’s at Town Center and rushed her daughter over to the Urgent Care Center.

“I know they are going to see her right away, they have small equipment and they will be able to handle her,” Tiffany said of Children’s. “I have to be somewhere where they can take care of her and it will be OK.”

An X-ray quickly revealed that Savannah had broken her left clavicle, or collarbone. Lesley Wilkerson, M.D., was able manage Savannah’s pain, diagnose the fracture and treat it on site. She also showed the family how to wrap Savannah’s injured arm.

Savannah, with her arm in a sling, and her parents were on their way home in about an hour.

Jumping Off

Savannah’s pediatrician said the 8-year-old had to stay off of a horse for about six weeks.

“Her face dropped,” Tiffany said. “To her, the injury wasn’t that bad. Those six weeks were hard.”

Savannah constantly peppered her parents with questions about when she could ride again. Although being patient was difficult, she did what she needed to get healthy and ride.

“She has always been really strong,” Todd said. “She is the type of person who, when presented with the opportunity, always overcomes.”

When she returned to the barn, her trainer said it was time for Savannah to start attempting jumps, much to her mother’s dismay.

1 related videos

2014 September Comeback Athlete: Savannah BryantView

Savannah Bryant loves competing in equestrian events. But a fall from her horse broke the 8-year-old's collarbone and kept her out of the saddle for six weeks. See how her toughness and patience helped her get back on the horse, literally.