At Children’s, we understand you want to be certain your child is receiving the best possible treatment available anywhere in the country. Second opinions can help provide the information you need to make an informed decision about the treatment for your child.
Benefits of a second opinion
Second opinions can provide reassurance to your family by confirming the treatment plan suggested by your child’s doctor. They can also, at times, give you alternative treatment options.
If you are interested in getting a second opinion for your child, we believe it is important to seek a doctor who is specially trained in caring for children and who has expertise in pediatric liver transplantation and treating the specific type of liver disease that your child has been diagnosed.
As a national leader in pediatric liver transplantation and liver disease, Children’s:
- Has dedicated physicians and surgeons who are highly skilled and experienced in treating children and young adults with all forms of liver disease—from the most common to those rarely seen outside of the top pediatric centers.
- Is one of the largest pediatric liver transplants centers in the country—performing more than 400 transplants since our program’s inception.*
- Has pediatric liver transplant patient and graft survival rates that are higher than the national average—including some of the highest transplant survival rates for children with acute liver failure.**
- Has some of the shortest wait times in the country for children waiting for a liver transplant.**
- Is committed to excellence and innovation in research
Our second opinion services
- On-site/in-person meeting Families are welcome to schedule an appointment at Children’s to meet with our medical experts in-person.
- Physician-to-physician consultation Your child’s doctor may speak with one of our physicians on the phone.
Call the Children’s liver team at 404-785-1807 to learn more about our second opinion services.