Family Center (Second Floor, Tower 2)
The Betty and Davis Fitzgerald Family Center is on the second floor of Tower 2 (Butterfly elevators) at Children’s at Egleston. It includes:
- All sleep rooms accommodate two people. Sleep rooms have either two twin beds or two sleep chairs or one twin bed and one sleep chair.
- Only the parent or legal guardian of children in ICU can use sleep rooms.
- Only two family members may sleep in a room at one time. Children are not allowed in sleep rooms.
- Sleep rooms should be used only for sleeping. Discussions, family meetings, receiving visitors and other interaction are not allowed.
- Cleaning takes place each day between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Bed linens and towels are provided.
- Families must be out of sleep rooms by 9 a.m. You must remove all of your personal items.
- You cannot have a sleep room once your child has been discharged from the ICU.
- Sleep rooms are assigned each day in the ICU Family Center based on a lottery system.
- Contact the front desk in the ICU Family Center or a service ambassador for more information.
Showers and Restrooms
- There are private showers and restrooms for parents and guardians to use.
- Toiletries such as soap, shampoo, razors and shaving cream are sometimes donated for families to use. If you need toiletries, talk with a service ambassador, the transplant social worker or your child’s nurse.
Washers and Dryers
- There are washers and dryers for families to use.
- Laundry can be done between 7 a.m. and 10:30 p.m.
- Includes a treadmill and stationary bike
- Open 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Vending machines
- Ice machine
- Family refrigerator
The Family Library is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday and Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. The library includes:
- Consumer health collection
- Recreational books and movies for all ages
- One hour digital camera checkout
- Laptop checkout for long-term patients (laptops are locked in the patient’s room)
- Four computers for adults, two computers for children, and two computers for pre-teens, teens and young adults
- Access to the Internet for e-mail and medical information searches
- A place for patients and families to relax
- Library staff to assist you
- Open seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Four computers with internet access and printing available from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
PICU (Fourth Floor, Tower 1)
- A Family Center is available for families with children in PICU. The Center contains parent sleep pods and other amenities. Other visitors are asked to use the lobby or public waiting areas.
- There is also a play area for children. Areas for patient activities are located on each floor. Children must always be with an adult.
- Family members under age 18 must have an adult with them when using the Center.