The Children's College Volunteer program is for currently enrolled college students looking for a way to help children in their metro Atlanta community. Volunteers are placed in areas throughout the hospital, ranging from customer service to working directly with patients. After the completion of 60 volunteer hours, students will have the ability to apply to our shadowing opportunity for a chance to shadow/observe a staff member in their field of study for a day (available for Scottish Rite and Egleston volunteers only).
Each session lasts 12 weeks during the fall and spring semesters. The program is not offered during the summer. Candidates are required to volunteer one day a week for three hours. A minimum 30-hour commitment is required.
The fall 2015 application will go live on Friday, July 31st.
Read all steps below before completing the assessment. Applications will not be accepted until the online steps and the mailed forms are submitted.
Step 1: Review the following Volunteer Requirements and the Volunteer Manual. Before volunteering at Children's, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age or older.
- Pass a criminal background check.
- Provide proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), chickenpox and Tdap.
- Be willing to receive an annual tuberculosis (TB) screening.
- Be willing to receive annual flu vaccination.
- Follow through with any additional training your placement may require.
- Adhere to the Children’s policies and procedures.
- Complete the online application and orientation process.
- Review the Volunteer Manual.
Step 2: Complete the Online Assessment.
- Pay special attention to the information about safety, infection control and confidentiality.
- Complete the assessment (with a score of 80 percent or above).
- At the end of the assessment, candidates will be provided a link to the volunteer application that must be completed.
Step 3: The program is filled on a first-come, first-served basis and may be full prior to the deadline. Mail or drop off the following forms by Friday, August 14th to the Children’s Volunteer Services department:
Proof of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (MMR) (two dates), *chickenpox (documentation from provider of proof of two immunizations OR documentation of a positive blood test indicating immunity; *history of disease date is not acceptable as proof of immunity) and Tdap (one date, must clearly state Tdap on record and be received between 2006 to present).
Copy of photo ID (driver's license or student ID)
Step 4: Complete these after acceptance into the program:
- Criminal background check consent form (final acceptance pending results)
- Tuberculosis screening
Mandatory Training Dates
Scottish Rite: Tuesday, August 25, 10:00 a.m. to noon
Egleston: Tuesday, August 25, 2:00 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Hughes Spalding: Tuesday, August 25, 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Application information not submitted online must be returned to the campus address at which you are volunteering:
1405 Clifton Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30322
Hughes Spalding hospital
35 Jesse Hill Jr. Drive SE
Atlanta, GA 30303
Scottish Rite hospital
1001 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
Note: Do not fax your paperwork. Faxed paperwork will not be accepted.