Follow-up kidney transplant clinic visits and lab tests are vital to your child’s care when he is well and ill. Even when your child is well, infection and rejection can occur. There are not always signs or complaints to show a problem. Every child is different. Talk to your child’s doctor so you can learn about the treatment plan and any problems that may arise. Blood work is the most certain tool a doctor can use.
The kidney transplant team will follow your child closely after his kidney transplant. During the first few months, you will see your child’s kidney transplant doctor and the kidney transplant team each week. As your child’s health improves, your visits will decrease.
- Kidney Transplant Clinic is every Thursday on the sixth floor at Children’s at Egleston. To schedule appointments, please call 404-785-1735.
- Please call the clinic as early as possible to schedule routine visits.
- A review of your child’s medicines will be done with each visit. Bring all bottles of medicine your child takes to each visit.
The Children’s Kidney Transplant coordinator will set up your first visit at the Children’s Transplant Clinic. Each visit may include:
- Seeing the kidney transplant doctor, coordinator and kidney transplant team
- A check of your child’s vital signs (blood pressure, heart rate and breathing), energy level, appetite, weight and activities
- A physical exam
- Blood work
This is also a great time for you to ask questions.