The Children's Apnea Center is a medically directed program for infants with apnea and bradycardia (low heart rate). The Apnea Center works with the patient's primary care physician and home care company to provide in-home monitor downloading. Our staff is able to download the information from the monitor and our specially trained physicians interpret results for the primary care provider.
The largest of its type in the country, the center is staffed by physicians, nurse practitioners, nurses and respiratory therapists. Gary Freed, D.O., is one of the few physicians in the country who devotes his entire time to children who have problems with apnea and bradycardia.
We can help decrease the anxiety associated with home cardiorespiratory monitoring by:
- Distinguishing true events from false alarms
- Improving monitor effectiveness by accurately detecting the cause of an alarm
- Decreasing the overall cost of treatment by weaning the infant off of the monitor sooner
- Providing a non-invasive method of diagnosis
The treatment for apnea is designed to protect your child as he outgrows the problem.
- Stimulation can be used to help a baby who is not breathing.
- Medications can stimulate the part of the brain that controls breathing and can reduce the number of apnea spells.
- Monitors that measure the heart rate and respiratory rate are used to detect when a baby needs help.
We provide 24-hour availability for download tracings.
- Rapid Interpretation of Downloads
Using Respironics software, simply e-mail the download to the Apnea Center from anywhere in the world. We will score and interpret the download tracings and fax or email a report to the primary care provider within 24-hours.
- Direct Download Ability
The Apnea Center can perform downloads directly from the patient's home. This requires the local home care company to provide the family with a modem compatible with the Respironics monitor software.
- Cost-effective Care
When properly used, event-recording monitors are more cost-effective than less sophisticated equipment.
- Family Support
We offer individual consultation with families regarding the use of equipment, identification of apnea and apnea interventions.