The Children’s Stephanie V. Blank Center for Safe and Healthy Children provides specialized services to suspected victims of child abuse in metro Atlanta and throughout Georgia. The Center works closely with law enforcement personnel, Division of Family and Children Services (DFCS), the legal system and community professionals to provide a coordinated multidisciplinary approach to evaluating child abuse.
The Center for Safe and Healthy Children medical providers are available at all times for phone consultation with the Emergency department, Urgent Care and other outpatient primary care providers, law enforcement, and DFCS who have questions about possible cases of child abuse. To contact the on-call medical provider, go to the on-call directory on Careforce or ask the operator to page them.
The Center provides inpatient medical consultation services. The Center medical provider is available to see patients seven days a week. The on-call medical provider can discuss the case, answer questions, and make preliminary recommendations. To request a medical consult, contact the on-call medical provider. To contact the on-call medical provider, call 404-785-3820, press 1 and ask to speak to the doctor on-call.
The Center also offers specialized forensic medical evaluations and interviews for suspected victims of child abuse. The Center is equipped with digital colposcopy equipment, allowing for detailed documentation during the forensic medical evaluation.
Trained social workers perform structured, videotaped forensic interviews, make referrals for counseling, and provide crisis support to families. Referrals from professionals are required and children are seen by appointment only. Same-day appointments are scheduled whenever possible.
The Center also offers Behavioral Health assessments, diagnostic evaluations and therapy for our patients.
At Scottish Rite, the Center hosts extended hours every Thursday where we are able to see patients from 11:30 AM to 8:00 PM.
The Center has trained medical providers and social workers available to come to Children’s Emergency Departments to evaluate victims of suspected child abuse who present during nights, weekends, and holidays.
To reach the after-hours service, call the center at 404-785-3820 and press 1.
- 24 hours a day, seven days a week
- If the alleged incident has taken place within 72 hours or if the patient has an acute medical complain, send the child to the nearest Children’s Emergency Department immediately.
- If the alleged incident took place more than 72 hours ago and the patient does not have an acute medical complain, call the Center at 404-785-3833 for the first available appointment.
- The Center accepts referrals from healthcare providers, law enforcement personnel, Georgia’s Division of Family and Children Services (DCCS) and other child advocacy centers.
- The Center provides evaluations in our outpatient clinics by appointment only.
- The legal guardian of the patient must bring the patient to the appointment.
- A referral to the Center does not relieve mandated reporters of their reporting responsibility. However, we can assist you by providing you with authority contact numbers.
- The Center accepts Medicaid and most private insurance. Please provide authorization numbers and generate insurance referrals where necessary.
For More Information
Call the Stephanie V. Blank Center for Safe and Healthy Children at Scottish Rite at 404-785-3820 or Hughes Spalding at 404-785-9930