A) Participate. Participating means the whole family is committed. Sometimes, a child makes a goal that requires a parent to change his or her lifestyle. Parents who model healthy behaviors are more likely to have a child who develops healthy habits. Get the whole family on-board. Most children have multiple caretakers, so it is important to make sure all caretakers understand the importance of consistent behaviors.
B) Use your team. We are available every day via phone and e-mail, and we are happy to answer questions from your child or you about nutrition or exercise plans.
C) Be honest. Change is never easy. Our clinic is meant to be a place of acceptance, openness and non-judgment.
In order to determine if this is the right time for your family to join the Health4Life program, consider the following questions:
1) Many families in our clinic are working on increasing their vegetable intake
and decreasing sodas. Ask yourself, “Do I feel ready to take on these
types of challenges?”
2) Are there medical reasons for making a change now?
3) Do you have a strong history of diabetes or cardiovascular disease in
your family? Does your child take any medications for these problems
4) Are you willing to consider adjusting your schedule, changing your diet,
or exercising more yourself if that would help your child?
5) Is your child expressing an interest in eating better or feeling better?